A Christmas spread is never complete without the humble mince pie making an appearance. Light, crumbly pastry, filled with a moist fruit mixture, is a hard combination to beat and we think the ones Rose makes in our kitchen are amongst the best that you will ever taste. As always, we love to share, here is the recipe that we use – the ground almonds make the pastry as light as a feather and one definitely tastes like more! You have been warned!
Ingredients (makes 24 mince pies):
• 225g plain flour
• 125g caster sugar
• 100g ground almonds
• 125g margarine (room temperature)
• 1 egg (beaten)
• A little water, if necessary
• 450g mincemeat
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease patty/bun tins.
2. Put flour, sugar and ground almonds into a mixing bowl and mix well together.
3. Rub margarine through the dry ingredients. Add the egg and water, if required, and mix to a soft dough.
4. Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead.
5. Cover with cling film and keep in fridge until ready to use. The pastry will keep for about three days.
6. Roll pastry on a floured board and cut rounds with a cutter to fit greased bun/patty tins. Put a teaspoon of mincemeat in each and cut a star shaped lid from remaining pastry to put on top.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with whipped cream or vanilla icecream for a delicious festive treat! Let us know some of your holiday favourites in the comments below, or search for more Christmas recipe inspiration in our recipe collection.